There is nothing better than a slow cooked piece of barbecue meat slathered in the best barbecue sauce! But, it is not always feasible to grill, so that’s when you have to use the oven. You can still get that amazing flavor by using this brisket recipe.
(A slow-cooked brisket in your oven is a great, budget-friendly option for celebratory meals like Christmas dinner — get our other recipe ideas and tips on How to Do Christmas on a Budget.)
You might be wondering, how do I make brisket in an oven? It must be grilled to taste good. Doesn’t it? Nope. Not at all.
While a grilled, slow roasted brisket is amazing, you don’t have to spend hours cooking yours. One of the things I love most about this recipe is not only how simple it is to make (minutes to get it into the oven vs. hours at the grill). And, you won’t believe how amazing it makes your house smell!
Pair your bbq brisket with cheesy bacon ranch salad, cheesy garlic mashed potatoes, or broccoli cheese casserole for a meal your family will love.
WHAT IS A BRISKET?
A brisket comes from the lower chest of the cow. It needs to be slow cooked because of the connective tissue in the muscle. Since a cow lacks a collarbone, this muscle carries up to 60% of it’s weight. Therefore, it can be tough if not cooked long enough.
HOW DO YOU COOK BRISKET IN THE OVEN?
To start, line your pan with foil (to capture all of the drippings). Place your brisket into the pan. Then, whisk together celery salt, onion salt and garlic salt in a bowl until blended and slather on top of the brisket.
Pour the liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce over the top of the brisket. Cover with foil and put it in the fridge for at least four hours (overnight work swell too). Then, bake for around 5- 6 hours. That’s it! That’s all it takes to make a brisket in the oven. How simple is that?!
Get the full list of ingredients and instructions below, which you can print out and add to your recipe book so it is handy the next time you want to make it.
Oven Baked Brisket Recipe
Find how to make brisket in your oven, rather than spending hours at the grill.
- Prep Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 10 hours 15 minutes
- Category: Entree
- 4–6 lb Beef Brisket
- 2 oz liquid smoke (or about half a 4 oz bottle)
- 3 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Line a 9×13 cake pan with tine foil and place the brisket inside, making sure it fits inside the pan. Leave excess tin foil on the sides, so it’s enough it can cover the brisket entirely.
- Whisk together the celery salt, onion salt, and garlic salt in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the brisket.
- Pour the liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce over the top of the seasoning, and lift the brisket up so the liquid and seasonings go underneath it as well.
- Wrap the tinfoil over the brisket completely, and refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before you plan to place it in the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 275.
- Bake at 275 for 5-6 hours.
- Remove it from the oven and cover the top of the brisket in your favorite barbecue sauce, and bake it uncovered for another hour.
Keywords: brisket, oven baked brisket, bbq brisket