People where activity trackers to ensure they get in their daily steps, keep in touch with family and to monitor their heart rates. But, did you know you can get paid for using your activity tracker?
You wear your activity tracker every day, but wearing one may be a way for you to make money! Whether you use a Fitbit, Jawbone, VivoFit or another tracker, you might be able to make money? It’s true! You exercise, and these companies reward you for your efforts.
Here are some of the programs you will want to check out and then sign up so you can get started earning!
APPS THAT PAY YOU TO WALK
1. Walgreen’s Balance Rewards
- Visit Walgreens.com and sign up for a Balance Rewards Account (if you do not already have one).
- Once you have your card, create (or sign into) your account.
- From the main screen, click on Account Home.
- Click on Balance Rewards.
- Scroll down to Healthy Activities and click.
- Follow the steps to connect your activity tracker.
- When you walk, you will earn points!
You will redeem your points towards select purchases in the store. That’s like free money in your pocket!
If you live in an urban area close to shops and restaurants, check out GigiWalk. It’s an app that pays you to walk! The app is free, but you will be charged a PayPal fee.
The way the app works is you sign up for gigs. You can walk from location to location and take photos or do what they have requested. For example, a gig may ask you to photograph a display inside of the store and will let you know how much you will earn.
Most gigs are retailers and brands looking for people to ensure their products are properly displayed. It can take a few minutes or hours to complete the gig and pay can range anywhere from $3 to as much as $100.
This is a health rewards program which allows you to earn points via your Fitbit (and other methods). You might even check with your insurance company or employer as some of them will even MATCH the points you earn!
- Visit EveryMove.org and click the sign-up button.
- Once your account is set up, you will be redirected to a page which shows various devices, including the Fitbit. Click to connect your account.
- After connected, you will then go and can add your Health Plan, Employer or even college (where you may earn bonus points or additional rewards if they participate). If you do not have these, you can just skip that step.
What was great is that when I signed up, it went back and grabbed some of my prior activity, which added in some “retroactive” points for me! The only downside to this one is that you don’t earn free items, but rather discounts on those products you may want to purchase.
Higi is an interesting app because it will allow you to earn points to redeem towards products, or, if you prefer, make a donation to a charity!
- Visit higi.com and click the green SIGN UP button.
- Fill out the profile information.
- When you get to the screen to connect your device, click on the FitBit link.
- Follow the steps to link your account.
- Once you reach points, you can either cash them in towards discount codes or donate to a charity instead.
The great thing is that most of these apps will also work with any device you have, allowing you to earn money while staying active!
5. Charity Miles
Walking is good for you, but did you know it can help others too! That’s what CharityMiles is about! As you walk, you earn money for charities. You can select from one of 30 charities, including Habitat for Humanity, Special Olympics, and so many more! The app uses motion sensors to measure your distance and pays you up to $0.25 per mile you walk or jog.
Donations are made on your behalf from large corporations. They place a yearly cap on how much they will donate annually.