I have always loved meatloaf. And, I’m a fan of mashed potatoes. Maybe that is why this loaded meatloaf and potato casserole is one of my favorite dishes. It’s not only super easy to make, but the fact that it is a one pan dinner makes serving it up an absolute breeze.
Anytime I can find a way to make life easier, I’m all over it. This is especially true when it comes to dinner. One pan dishes are not only easy to throw together, but they’re easy for clean-up too.
That is just one reason to love loaded potato meatloaf casserole. You start with a basic meatloaf recipe and then add your mashed potatoes and top it off with bacon. I mean, anything with bacon is good, right?
I usually make mine with homemade potatoes and freshly fried bacon. But, it tastes just as good if you are in a hurry and want to use instant mashed potatoes and pre-cooked bacon. See, just another reason to love this recipe!
Loaded Potato Meatloaf Casserole combines two of my favorite things: loaded baked potatoes, and meatloaf. It’s easy comfort food that makes enough to feed your family, and maybe even enough for leftovers for lunch the next day!Print
Loaded Potato Meatloaf Casserole
A simple weeknight dinner that combines meatloaf and loaded baked potatoes for an amazingly delicious meal.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 packet of dry onion soup mix
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups of mashed potatoes
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the hamburger, eggs, and dry onion soup mix.
- Mix it together using your hands until thoroughly blended.
- Spread the mixture in a greased 9×13 pan and bake at 400 for 25 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking cut the bacon into 1″ pieces, and fry until crispy.
- Drain the grease from the bacon and set aside.
- Make 6 cups of homemade mashed potatoes (if making fresh, that’s about 7-8 potatoes) and set aside.
- Once the meatloaf has baked for 25 minutes, remove it from the oven and drain the grease.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the meatloaf. Then top the mashed potatoes with the cheese, and the cheese with the bacon.
- Bake the entire mixture at 400 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.