When you shop, it is, of course, important to make sure you always get your money’s worth. After all, you work hard for your money and want to make sure you do not waste it. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t still get those quality items you need at the Dollar Store — where you can find them priced at just $1 (or around that price).
I’ve shopped Dollar Stores for years, and there are always items I buy there, which I usually don’t pick up elsewhere. These are items which brand may not matter and those items which are disposable. I mean, if you are going to throw it away, why pay more than you need to!
- 21 Kohl’s Money Saving Hacks
- Mistakes That Are Killing Your Grocery Budget
- How to find the best deals at Dollar General
20 ITEMS YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BUY AT THE DOLLAR STORE
These are one of the items I always grab at the Dollar Store. Of course, I usually stock up on tissue paper at the end of Christmas as that is often even less than $1, but all other items? I head to my local dollar store!
1. Gift Bags. If you are giving gifts, you know that the person will probably open the item and toss the bag. Why pay $4 (and more) at other stores, when you can find them for just $1 at your Dollar Store!
2. Gift Wrap. This is usually a better deal – always check the square footage. Know what you pay per square foot at larger stores, so you can make sure that it is a bargain. I usually find that it is a better bargain, but there have been a few rare times when I have found a good deal at a larger store, which did cost less them my dollar store.
3. Cards. These are always $1. I know that when I give a card to someone (even sympathy, anniversary, thank you, etc.), they will read it and then, it usually goes into the trash can. I pay no more than $1 for my cards just for that reason. If you price cards at other stores, they can be costly ($4 and more)!!
4. Party Decorations. You can find balloons, tablecloths, party hats, party favors and more — all priced at just $1! These vary in price at other stores. By the time you complete your decor, you could easily spend $30 and more at the big box stores -compared to just $7 – $10 at your Dollar store!
I do not buy too many of these items at our Dollar store, as I usually find great deals at ALDI. However, there are a few things I do pick up there – always!
5. Movie Theatre Candy. When my kids are on any break, we make a stop there for them to each pick up one box of their favorite candy. It is around $1.25 and more at other stores. By picking it before you go to the theater, you will notice big savings. Theaters charge upwards of $5 and more for the same box!!!
6. Spices. You can find all sorts of spices priced at around $1 at your Dollar store. These same ones can cost much more at your grocery store – realizing instant savings.
Once again, you need to know the prices of the items you purchase at your regular store, to compare the prices. These are the things I have found less than other stores.
7. Band-aids. I don’t know about you, but my kids think they need a band-aid the minute that they hurt themselves (blood or no blood). We go through a lot of them. I pick them up for just $1 a box and keep them handy for those incidents.
8. Pregnancy Tests. While I do not need these personally now (whew!), I did many years ago. It was so much more costly to pick up dollar store tests rather than pay $10 at other locations. You may be surprised to know that they are pretty accurate too (at least mine always were).
9. Reading glasses. I have not personally used this, but my mom sure has! Rather than have just one pair that she has to take with her everywhere, she has multiples. She keeps on her desk at work, another in her home office, another in her purse – and even one at my house!
10. Hair accessories. With two girls, we go through a LOT of hair bands. (Seriously, where do those little things disappear at night??). We have picked up new combs and brushes for them too – and paid much less than at other stores.
11. Q-Tips. I’ve tried our dollar brand of q-tips, and you know what – they work as well as the name brand! I’ve even picked up cotton balls which work just the same too (at a fraction of the cost).
12. Bar soap. You can sometimes find 2 bar packages of soap for just $1 — much less expensive than elsewhere (and, if you are lucky enough to have a coupon that doesn’t exclude that size, you can save even more).
It may be surprising, but you really can find some great items! The great thing is that when you pay less, you can afford to change it out with the seasons (or even as your mood strikes).
13. Seasonal decorations. From Easter to Halloween to Christmas, you can find some great decor items at your Dollar store — for much less than you will pay elsewhere. The only thing I would not purchase is anything that is electrical. It is not worth the risk to spend less.
14. Vases and bowls. You can find adorable glass vases to hold your flowers or even bowls for potpourri, floating candles and more! It is a great way to give flowers to someone and save. Pick up an inexpensive bouquet at your grocery store, grab a vase at your local dollar store, and you’ve got a beautiful arrangement at a fraction of the cost!
15. Picture frames. I’ve found some gorgeous frames at our local store. It is a great way to give a photo of our kids to grandparents — or even spruce up the home with different looks! I’ve also purchased the cheap wooden frames, sprayed them with silver paint, and turned the cheap one into something fabulous for a gift for my mom!!
I’ve also had pretty good luck with many different household items. Again, watch the quality so that you don’t get anything TOO cheap.
16. Dishware. What I love is that you can find open stock dishware to purchase to spruce up your table for that special dinner. Keep in mind that it is not the best quality, but it can be a fun way to bring in unique decor or colors to your table,
17. Glassware. These seem to chip and break all of the time. You can find all sorts of glassware (and even coffee mugs) at your local dollar store. These are also sold individually so that you only need to purchase the number you need, instead of an entire box.
18. Dishcloths and Dish Towels. No matter how well you launder your dish clothes and towels, they tend to wear out. Don’t spend more than you need to — just pick up a package at the dollar store. Then, when they wear out or you need to throw them away, you have a new supply of cleaning rags!
19. Envelopes. Have you priced envelopes at your local store? You can pick up a box for much less — around $1 when other stores may charge $3 and more!
20. Gloves. I don’t wear gloves that often, but there are times when I need to. These are around $1 at your dollar store. Compare these to $3 and more at other stores, and you’ve got a bargain!