We love Cheez-Its. But, we don’t necessarily like the high price or some of the ingredients. Find out how you can make homemade Cheez-Its!
My kids love it when I buy Cheez-Its – which is not that often. I hate reading what is in these crackers, the carbs that they consume and most of all – the price of just one box! I started searching for the perfect homemade recipe.
I finally was able to perfect what I found — a recipe that tastes about as close as you can get to the real thing! They are as flaky and crispy as the ones in the box (made with ingredients you can actually pronounce)! Best of all, if you have gluten issues, you can change out from white flour to the version you can tolerate and still enjoy them!
Other awesome must-try snacks:
Homemade Cheez-It Recipe
- Cook Time: 17 mins
- Total Time: 17 mins
- Category: Kid Friendly
- 8 oz Sharp Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 stick (4 Tbs) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 – 6 Tbs ice cold water
- Place the cheddar cheese, butter and salt into your mixer and whip well, using your paddle attachment. If you do not have one of these, you can whip it longer using your regular whisk. Once well blended, add the flour until mixed — it will appear pebbly.
- Slowly add in the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough forms a ball (this usually takes around 5 – 6 Tbs when I’ve prepared this myself).
- Form dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for around an hour – until firm.
- Once ready, preheat the oven to 375.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper (this is important so that they do not stick to your pan nor burn).
- Divide the dough into two parts and begin rolling out one of them. Make sure you place flour on the countertop and your rolling pin to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Roll it out until it is around 1/8″ thick (you do not want it very thick or your crackers will be more chewy).
- You can use a fluted pastry cutter and cut the dough into 1″ squares. squares. I like to have fun with mine, so I use mini cookie cutters and cut shapes such as stars, apples, leaves and more!
- Place the crackers onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until they are turning brown at the edges and becoming “puffy.” The cooking time may vary depending upon your oven, so make sure you keep an eye on them as they can very quickly burn.